“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” -Lao Lzu
The hardest part of writing for many people is getting started. I know that it definitely is something that I struggle with immensely. Something that I have found helpful is to simply open a word document and start typing as thoughts fill my head without regard for grammar or relevancy; this process is known as freewriting.
Here are some other tips that may make it easier for you to start writing:
- Barricade the door. It must be just you, the ink, and the paper.
- Work in a physical and mental condition that makes you want to write.
- Write yourself silly.
- Allow your imagination to go to weird places. Nothing is off limits.
- Break every writing rule known to man.
- It’s okay if it reads like a letter from a lunatic.
- Steal stylistically from other writers, as all great writers do.
- Keep your bottom in your chair until your done.
- Once you’ve finished a first draft, leave it alone for days–if not weeks.