- Rewarded to undergraduate students who demonstrate both a commitment to leadership/community involvement and financial need
Janet Brown and her Legacy
Janet Brown was the founding director of the Writing Success Program (WSP) and a valuable member of the Community Programs Office (CPO). A well-read, unapologetically quirky, politically astute, and compassionate person, Janet was a mentor to students and staff alike. Janet’s questions, guidance, and advice have played an integral role in the development of the Community Programs Office (CPO) and WSP. She was a CPO elder whose legacy lives on through our values of honesty, integrity, and compassion.
Seven years have passed since we lost Janet to cancer. In honor of her memory, the Writing Success Program (WSP), the Campus Retention Committee (CRC) and the Community Programs Office (CPO) present the Janet Brown Memorial Scholarship for 2016.
Janet believed in the mission of the Student Retention Center (SRC) at UCLA, specifically in the importance of holistic student empowerment. In an effort to support the retention of student leaders, the Janet Brown Memorial Scholarship rewards students who have committed themselves to leadership and service, oftentimes in spite of various financial and personal obstacles.
Eligibility and Guidelines
- Applicants must be enrolled as UCLA undergraduates for the entire 2016-2017 academic year.
- Applicants must demonstrate both a commitment to leadership/community involvement and financial need.
- Applicants who are enrolled as full-time or part-time students at UCLA and will not graduate at the end of Fall 2016 may apply.
- Undocumented students with AB 540 status may apply.
- Previously dismissed students who have participated in the Bruin Readmission Program (BRP) during the 2015-2016 academic year and will be a student during the 2016-2017 academic year may apply.
- The Writing Success Program Director, WSP staff members, or relatives of WSP staff may not apply.
- Members of the Campus Retention Committee may not apply.
Applications are due May 13, 2016 at 5 pM
- Pick up an application at the Writing Success Program Office, located in the Student Activities Center (SAC) Room 105G
- OR download the application HERE: Janet Brown Memorial Scholarship 2016
- Applications must be submitted physically, no electronic submissions will be considered
- Please refer to the application for submission guidelines
Artwork Designed By: Sahra Nguyen